PE (polyethylene) VS. FR (fire retardant) core

A recent article on a Melbourne Apartment fire found in “The Australian”“The Age” and “The Financial Review” has sparked immense confusion and doubt amongst the construction and building industry.

The Alucobest cladding which was used on the facade comprised of a PE (Polyethylene) core, commonly described as a flammable and “non-compliant” construction material.
Scientific testing found that Alucobest was in breach of combustibility requirements for a high-rise building and indicated that the PE core aided in the proliferation of flames, smoke development and internal fire ignition.

How is Alpolic/fr different? 

– As a market leader, SGI has been supplying FR core (Fire Retardant) composite panel since 2000 to the Australian market
– Alpolic/fr is a ‘fit for purpose’ residential/commercial facade cladding material
– Alpolic/fr consists of a fire retardant thermoplastic core, which is 70% non-combustible material. The remaining 30% relates mainly to the aluminium skin itself
– Alpolic/fr is CODEMARK approved for use on all Class A, B and C type buildings
– Aluminium will melt at 660 degrees celsius – but it will not ignite
– Although the core material contains a small amount of PE, the main ingredient of the mineral core does not permit the proliferation of flames and restricts the development of smoke